Saturday, January 6, 2018

Fourth Painting Challenge Submission - 28mm Prussian Infantry for the Franco-Prussian War

Prussians charge to battle for their King!
My fourth submission to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge continued my early established theme - more 28mm infantry for the Franco-Prussian War. Hopefully you are not bored yet!  In these photos you see the bulk of my Prussian infantry that I will be using for skirmish gaming in the setting - they are all 28mm castings from "Eagles of Empire".  There are 29 figures in total here, but some have already been submitted (see if you can spot "Mr. Glowing" among the mass) and others were painted before the Challenge started - so only 14 of these will counted for scoring purposes in the Challenge.

Nice, aggressive posture on many of the castings

These castings show that distinctive sculpting style of the Eagles of Empire figures - the castings are tall (essentially 30mm) and thin, with more sort-of "true scale" Dreyse rifles and spikes on the helmets.  This already caused one casting to lose his pickelhaube during shipping, but as I am keen to have as many Prussians jump in on the table as possible, I painted him up anyway, figuring some manner of franc-tireur shot the spike off his helmet in a skirmish behind the lines...


The Prussians sporting their distinctive pickelhaubes and rolled coats

This is meant to represent four full squads of seven troops each, as well as a couple of senior officers - the equivalent of two boxes of figures from Eagles of Empire - but I'm two figures short to represent the full group of four squads. This is because the Prussian boxes come with two different types of musician, and I had no use for the drummers...so I'll need to scare up two extra figures to balance this all out.  When combined with the Jagers it is still a substantial force for a skirmish, ready to enforce the will of the King and bring the pesky French to heel on the battlefield!


I quite like the once NCO, on the right, beautiful animation in the pose
Rear view, showing the kit the Prussian infantry hauled with them
The NCOs are on square bases, the senior officers are on hex-shaped bases, and there is one very-senior officer (would be something like a status level three or four leader for Lardy-style-games) based together with a standard bearer on a hex base.  I have tried to use different colours of flowers to help with unit identification, but as I have worked through this I have seen I need to be careful a bit as the overall effect can be a bit too bright.  France is a beautiful, beautiful place (and the "Imperial phase" of the War of 1870 did take place in the summer) but it is not Lothlorien and too many bright flowering bushes has a bit of a detrimental effect to the overall game.  I may go back later and scale it back a bit more still.

An assortment of close-ups - the arm of the officer was a challenge, as the part was mis-cast - his shoulder must have been wounded at Sadowa or something...

The Prussian flag is from GMB.  Finding flags for this period is a challenge - GMB is the only source I have found for Prussians, and nobody is making any for the French as far as I can tell, with a small exception that you will see in my next submission!


Senior command base - flag from GMB
Ready to conquer in the name of the King!

These guys got me another 71 points toward my goal...up next - vive la France!!

3 comments:

Neil Scott said...

They look great

Millsy said...

Perhaps my favourite project of the Challenge this year. Absolutely wonderful mate!

Rens van Vliet said...

Love the colors, so vibrant!